Activ-Ox® -Chlorine Dioxide for the 21st Century
Activ-Ox® is highly effective against Legionella
Chlorine Dioxide is one of the most powerful disinfectants used in water treatment. It has also shown itself to be especially effective against Legionella.
We believe that our patented ACTIV-OX technology is currently the safest and most effective way of dosing chlorine dioxide for applications in the Building Services sector.
The ACTIV-OX system is extremely effective at penetrating biofilms and controlling amoebae, both of which can encourage the growth of Legionella.
ACTIV-OX has full approval from the British Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) for use in potable water.
View the Demonstration video
ACTIV-OX means Active Oxygen
The name ACTIV-OX is derived from the way in which chlorine dioxide works. It does not ‘chlorinate’, but instead acts as a pure oxidising agent using the power of ‘Active Oxygen’. This is not a term invented by us, but one used by chemists to describe oxidants with similar mechanisms, which includes chlorine dioxide and peroxides.
With chlorine dioxide, it’s the oxygen which reacts, not the chlorine. With ACTIV-OX there are no unpleasant byproducts; the chlorine component ultimately ends up as harmless, soluble chloride ions at very low levels.
ACTIV-OX is safe and efficient
- Instant high yield - no holding tanks, waiting time or hazardous acids.
- Can be accurately dosed, monitored and controlled.
- No chlorinated by-products to cause taste or health problems.
- Unaffected by water chemistry (eg pH).
- Numerous safety features - double walled dosing tubes, auto lockout pumps, low volume mixing chamber.
- Extremely effective against biofilms and amoebae which are major risk factors in legionella outbreaks.
Biofilms Increase Risk!
Biofilms can cause health problems:
- Legionella favour an environment where biofilms exist, where they can be ingested by amoebae which “graze” on biofilms.
- Inside amoebae, legionella can grow in a low hazard environment and become more virulent.
- Infested amoebae can be carried in water droplets and inhaled deep into the human lung, which can lead directly to Legionnaires’ Disease.
Biofilms can cause engineering problems:
- Biofilms impair heat transfer, owing to their very low thermal conductivity.
- They increase frictional drag in pipework which increases pumping costs.
- They encourage corrosion by providing an environment for problem microbes like anaerobic sulphate reducing bacteria.
The Dosing System
The ACTIV-OX® Dosing System has a number of unique design features which make it the safest, most controllable way of producing Chlorine Dioxide:
- As ACTIV-OX® activates instantaneously, there is no need for mixing and dilution tanks, or reaction vessels containing large volumes of strong chlorine dioxide solutions.
- Activation takes place in a reaction manifold which is integral to the system pipework, so there are no fragile injection tubes containing concentrated Chlorine Dioxide.
- Chlorine Dioxide is only ever produced in solution, and only a few millilitres of concentrated solution are held within the manifold, so there is no hazard.
- The dosing pumps are controlled automatically and are initiated by an impulsing water meter to prevent under or overdosing.
- The system incorporates alarms to indicate if a pump is not pumping and if a chemical drum is empty.
- As a further precaution against the inadvertent mixing of the chemicals, the injection tubing is double-walled and the chemical drums are placed inside individual bunds with lids.
Standard Activ-Ox Dosing System
FEEDWATER can offer a system to meet your requirements. Our experienced Consultants will carry out a full, no-obligation site survey and discuss the best options available for you.
FEEDWATER can carry out the whole turnkey project from start to finish or work with you as a partner.
Chemicals can be supplied in 25Kg drums or using our drumless delivery service - FEEDSAFE - for ‘No manual handling’ of chemicals.
Please click on the link below to email the Activ-Ox support team.
- Activ-Ox Chlorine Dioxide Dosing Systems
- Stabilised Chlorine Dioxide
- Chlorine Dioxide Generators
- Legionella Control with Chlorine Dioxide
- FEEDSAFE Delivery Video
- Feedwater Water Treatment Home Page